Wednesday, July 7, 2010

#108 Seven Year Switch by Claire Cook

From Amazon.com is this synopsis:

Just when Jill Murray's finally figured out how to manage on her own, her ex-husband proves that he can't even run away reliably. After seven long years missing in action, he's back--crashing into the man-free existence Jill and her ten-year-old daughter have built so carefully. And what's a good mother to do? To a child, even a deadbeat dad is better than no dad at all.



Jill's life just hasn't turned out quite the way she planned. By now, she'd hoped to be jetting around the world as a high-end cultural coach. Instead, she's answering phones for a local travel agency and teaching cooking classes at the community center.


Enter free-spirited entrepreneur Billy, who hires Jill as a consultant for an upcoming business trip. Is their relationship veering off in a new direction? And what about her ex? Jill couldn't possibly still have feelings for him . . . could she? Suddenly, her no-boys-allowed life is anything but.


They say that every seven years you become a completely new person, but Jill isn't sure she's ready for the big change. It takes a Costa Rican getaway to help her make a choice--not so much between the two men in her life, but between the woman she is and the one she wants to be.

I really enjoyed this book, it had humor and heartbreak.  I can't even imagine my reaction if my husband showed up out of the blue after 7 year, maybe break his neck.   I understood her hesitation to allow him back into her daughters life.  I was also very impressed with her ability to put the needs of her daughter first.  I just think Jill should have demanded more answers from her husband before introducing the daughter into the mix.

My favorite character was Billy, but he did seem to good to be true.  Which is probably why I liked him so much!  His patience with Jill was amazing, as was his understanding when she told him about her husband showing back up.

I would give this book a solid B.  It was definitely an enjoyable read.

1 comment:

  1. This book keeps popping up on a variety of blogs. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. I must look for it next time I'm at the library.

    ReplyDelete