Thursday, August 19, 2010

#123 The Chocolate Lovers' Club by Carole Matthews

Wow, I only have 87 more to go!  I am halfway through one so I think I will get this done by the end of the year.

This is the type of book I consider "chick lit".  I know earlier in the week or last week on another blog they were talking about what makes it "chick lit" or women's fiction.  I think of "chick lit" as a fun fluff type of book.  I hate that they are degraded because I really enjoy them.  I think every book has its purpose.  There are times I want something light hearted and fun.

In this book Lucy has formed a chocolate lovers' club with three other women she meets at a chocolate shop.  They are all dealing with pretty heavy issues at the time.  First there is Lucy herself who just found her boyfriend of five years with another woman again.  This seems to be a recurring theme in their relationship.

Autumn is a fellow member of the club.  She is an heiress, but works teaching art at a rehab center.  She is the resident good girl of the group.  She is struggling with her drug addicted brother who showed up needing a place to stay. 

Nadia is another member of the group, she is a stay at home mom dealing with overwhelming debt from her husband's online gambling.

Chantal is in a sexless marriage and having many flings.  She picks up a guy at a hotel bar and he ends up robbing her while she sleeps.  She tries to cover it up and the girls go on a "caper" to recover her stolen items.

I really liked this book.  It was lighthearted and fun and made me laugh.  Lucy is a lovable klutz, as a fellow klutz I can't help but like her!!!

I would give this one a B+

No comments:

Post a Comment