Monday, August 23, 2010

#124 The Wimpy Kid Movie Diary by Jeff Kinney

I host a boys' book club and this was our last selection.  It had been some time since we met, but I never read the book until right before our meeting, which was Friday night. 

Our format is that the boys read the book at home and have to come up with things about the book in a notebook.  The minimum is 3 but they always go beyond.  We meet at McDonald's or someplace kid friendly and have a meal then our meeting.  After the meeting we move on to some fun activity such as bowling, skating, the movie etc.  The previous book club was going to see the movie Diary of a Wimpy Kid. 

The boys love the Wimpy Kid books and they have been book club books every time they come out. 

It is a really cute series about a boy starting middle school and dealing with an obnoxious older brother and other pitfalls along the way.

They are great books that really open up the conversation about how to treat others and other good lessons.  This time I had them write letters to the author.  I will get them sent out this week and hopefully Mr. Kinney will enjoy them as much as I did.

I'm starting a younger book club for two of the boys' siblings.  This one will have boys and girls so it should be interesting.  It's a very rewarding way to spend some time, let me tell you.  When one of the boys tells me, "I'm reading for fun," which is a first for him, I melted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment