Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Madonnas of Echo Park by Brando Skyhorse #101

I'm not exactly sure where I read about this, but it looked intriguing so I bought it last week at the store.

To be honest I didn't like it.  I don't usually like short stories that are all tied together.  The only author I have truly loved that does that is Maeve Binchy.  Most books like this I don't feel really flesh out the characters, and this is true in this book.  I just didn't feel invested in any of the characters.

I have thought about it and wondered if it was because it is a culture I can't relate to, but if that were the case I wouldn't like most books I read, which isn't true.  While I think that my lack of knowledge of the culture probably contributed to my dislike of the book I wouldn't say it was the sole reason.

It just seemed to jump around too much for me.  I could never tell when the stories were taking place in relation to the one incident that ties the book together. 

It wasn't horrible for me or totally unreadable, it just wasn't enjoyable for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment