Saturday, June 19, 2010

St. Patrick of Ireland by Philip Freeman

This was a little bit heavier material than I have been reading, but since I am obsessed with anything about Ireland I was intrigued when I saw it on the Bargain aisle at Barnes and Noble.

This is book #93 of my 210 goal for the year.

Amazing!!!!  Very interesting look not only at the life of St. Patrick that not many know, but also the history of Christianity and the times of the mighty Roman Empire. 

I wasn't sure how dry it would be and was afraid it would be a slow read since I am trying to get to 105 by the end of June to be halfway through my goal, but it wasn't at all.

St. Patrick had a very interesting life, having grown up in a noble family that owned slaves only to be kidnapped at 15 and sold into a life of slavery to the Irish.  He escaped after 6 years after God spoke to him in his dreams.  After he returned home God again talked to him through his dreams, from that point on he devoted his life to Christ and to bringing the Word of God to the Irish.  The same people who enslaved him, he decided to devote the remainder of his life to.

There isn't a lot of information about him, but Dr. Freeman managed to give everyone a full picture of his life based on two letters he had written. 

Most people don't know much about St. Patrick this book is really good at illuminating his life and differentiating between facts and myths of his life.  It was a really great book and I recommend it to anyone who loves all things Irish, or just loves history.

No comments:

Post a Comment